Road users help pay for New Zealand’s land transport system.

Road users with a petrol vehicle contribute by petrol excise duty. Petrol excise duty is paid on all petrol that is produced or imported in New Zealand.

Road users with a diesel vehicle (or a vehicle that weighs over 3.5 tonnes) pay road user charges (known as RUC). Road user charges are based on the weight of the vehicle and distance travelled.

Every motor vehicle on a public road must also be registered and licensed.

Revenue from petrol excise duty, road user charges and from registration and motor vehicle licensing goes into the National Land Transport Fund, which helps to fund the building, maintenance and operation of our land transport system.

In this part of our website you can find: