The Government is committed to taking decisive action to protect our climate by reducing greenhouse gas emissions.
We need to prioritise transport emissions reductions, which are the fastest growing source of emissions in New Zealand, accounting for nearly 20% of all CO2 greenhouse gases produced.
This includes significantly improving the fuel efficiency, and thereby reducing the emissions, of light vehicles as they account for nearly 70% of all transport emissions.
The Government wants meaningful change to reduce vehicle emissions by introducing a Clean Car Standard and Clean Car Discount, which would apply to all new and used light vehicles first registered in New Zealand after 2021.
A discussion document has been developed to seek feedback on these two proposals to reduce emissions in the light vehicle fleet (cars, SUVs, utes, vans, light trucks).
You can make submissions to the Ministry of Transport by either:
- Completing this Online Survey(external link), or
- Sending submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Consultation closes at 5pm on 20 August 2019.
- Frequently Asked Questions [PDF, 1.1 MB]
- LEV Cabinet paper [PDF, 1.8 MB]
- LEV Regulatory Impact Statement [PDF, 739 KB]
- Cost benefit analysis – Clean Car Standard [PDF, 2.7 MB]
- Cost benefit analysis – Clean Car Discount [PDF, 2.4 MB]
- Social impact assessment – Clean Car Standard [PDF, 1.7 MB]
- Social impact assessment – Clean Car Discount [PDF, 1.7 MB]