This privacy notice applies to personal and other information collected through this website www.transport.govt.nz(external link). This statement is to let you, as a user of this website, know when we collect personal information and what we do with it.
This privacy statement of this site applies to sites directly managed by the Ministry. You may be redirected to content hosted on third party sites. In this case it is your responsibility to understand that party’s privacy statements and policies.
Collecting personal information
We collect personal information that you choose to give us while using our website and its services, for example your email address if you sign up to a newsletter. We only use this personal information for the purpose(s) specified at the point of collection. When you do provide information to us, please carefully read the privacy statement provided at that point.
Note that any information you provide us with is viewable by Site administrators, certain Ministry of Transport staff and contractors (including third parties providing services related to the administration, improvement, and/or securing of the Site and the information it contains) and, if published, members of the public. Please note this if you choose to provide us with information of a sensitive nature.
Sharing your information
We do not give information about you to other government agencies, organisations or anyone else unless one of the following applies:
- one of the reasons we obtained the information was to give it to someone else
- you have given authority to share the information
- it is required or authorised by the Privacy Act 1993 or by any other law, for example:
- to avoid prejudice to the maintenance of the law including the prevention, detection, investigation, prosecution and punishment of offences
- for law enforcement purposes
- for the protection of public revenue; or for the conduct of court or tribunal proceedings
- it will prevent or lessen a serious threat to public health or safety or to somebody's life or health, or
- the information is to be used in a way that will not identify you; or it is to be used for statistical or research purposes and will not be published in a way that will identify you.
This site uses Google Analytics, a web analytics service provided by Google Inc. You can opt-out of this by disabling first-party cookies in your web browser; however doing so may affect your use of this and other sites.
If you do not disable cookies, you consent to the processing of data about your use of the site by Google, in the manner and for the purposes set out below.
The information generated about your use of the site is transmitted to, and stored by Google on servers in the United States. This consists of statistical information about your use of the site, including:
- Your service address (IP address)
- The date, time and duration of your visit to the site
- The pages you accessed and the documents you downloaded
- The type of browser you used
- The search terms you used
- Your operating system
- Other incidental matters such as screen resolution and the language setting of your browser.
Google uses this information to evaluate how you use this site, compiling reports to the Ministry of Transport on site activity, and providing other reporting and performance improvement services relating to site activity and internet usage. Google may also transfer this information to third parties but only where required to do so by law, or where these third parties process the information on Google’s behalf.
Google will not associate your IP address with any other data held by Google, and Google Analytics’ terms and conditions prohibit the Ministry from accessing your IP address details.
The Ministry may make use of web services that require the use of third party software, particularly for the presentation of graphical or analytical information. These sites have their own privacy policies which you should be aware of.
Current services we use:
- Tableau is used for providing visualisations - https://www.tableau.com/privacy(external link)
Access to personal information we hold about you
To view any personal information held by us, or if you have any concerns about personal information that we hold and wish to request its correction, please
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, or
Write: The Privacy Officer, Ministry of Transport, PO Box 3175, Wellington 6140
Your emails and contributions to the site may constitute public records and be retained to the extent required by the Public Records Act 2005(external link). We may also be required to disclose those materials under the Official Information Act 1982(external link) or to a Parliamentary Select Committee in response to a Parliamentary Question.