The Tackling Unsafe Speeds programme represents a measured approach to managing speeds on the road network, focussed on establishing a more streamlined and coordinated process for speed management, moving towards a more transparent and effective approach to automated speed enforcement, and reducing speed limits around our schools.
This page contains further information on the Tackling Unsafe Speeds programme and the process undertaken to date on the development of the proposals.
In November 2019, the Government agreed to the Tackling Unsafe Speeds programme. You can read more about the programme in the papers below.
- Cabinet paper – Tackling Unsafe Speeds programme [PDF, 1.1 MB]
- Cabinet paper Appendix 1 – Summary of the Tackling Unsafe Speeds programme [PDF, 249 KB]
- Cabinet minute [PDF, 148 KB]
- Impact summary - Tackling Unsafe Speeds programme [PDF, 6.4 MB]
The Speed Reference Group
A key part of the development of these proposals included hearing about and testing potential options for change around speed management with the Speed Reference Group. The Speed Reference Group was one of five road safety reference group that were comprised of over 100 representatives from central government, local government, advocacy groups and special interest groups.
These workshops took place between September and November 2018 and provided valuable insight into the issues facing road controlling authorities and the ways in which speed management could be improved in New Zealand. A diverse range of participants contributed to these workshops and the ideas from those workshops have been further developed and tested to inform the proposals in this paper.
Key Policy Documents
Further advice to Ministers relating to the policy development of the Tackling Unsafe Speeds proposals are linked below.
- Final edits to Cabinet paper and Regulatory Impact Analysis following cross-party consultation [PDF, 998 KB]
- Appendix 6 - Talking points for DEV [PDF, 174 KB]
- Updated Cabinet paper for cross-party consultation [PDF, 1.8 MB]
- Draft Cabinet paper [PDF, 2.8 MB]
- Speed management – addressing the highest risk parts of the network [PDF, 547 KB]
- Update on Tackling Unsafe Speeds package [PDF, 1.5 MB]
- Speed limits outside schools [PDF, 457 KB]
- Options for a programme of work [PDF, 12 MB]