The Land Transport (NZTA) Legislation Amendment Bill is a direct response to the review of Waka Kotahi NZ Transport Agency’s (the Transport Agency) regulatory performance.
The policy objective of this Bill is to strengthen the regulatory leadership of the Transport Agency by setting up a new regulatory framework by establishing the position of Director of Land Transport to centralise the regulatory authority. To support the policy objective, the Bill also strengthens the Transport Agency’s role in relation to key regulatory interventions including, speed management and enforcement.
Key changes proposed by this Bill include:
- Establishing the Director of land transport role
- Setting expectations for the Transport Agency Board to develop a new strategy to strengthen the Transport Agency’s regulatory delivery
- Refreshing the Transport Agency’s regulatory objectives
- Refreshing the independent regulatory functions and powers to ensure they are fit for purpose
- Supporting key regulatory interventions. One of these key regulatory interventions implements measures as part of the ‘Tackling Unsafe Speeds’ programme. This is an important component of the Government’s new Road to Zero: Road Safety Strategy. Tackling Unsafe Speeds changes within this Bill include:
- Establishing a centralised Register of land transport records (for example, speed limits)
- Enabling Rules to require the Transport Agency to establish a speed management committee
- Enabling the Transport Agency to issue infringement notices for offences detected by safety cameras.
On 17 December 2019, the Minister of Transport presented first reading speeches for this Bill to the House.
- NZTA Review Cabinet Paper – Policy Approval [PDF, 1.4 MB]
- DEV Minute [PDF, 139 KB]
- NZTA Bill Cabinet Paper – Approval for Introduction [PDF, 109 KB]
- LEG Minute [PDF, 119 KB]
- RIA – Strengthening NZTA’s regulatory capability and performance [PDF, 696 KB]
- Tackling Unsafe Speeds Cabinet Paper – Policy Approval [PDF, 1.1 MB]
- Tackling Unsafe Speeds Minute [PDF, 146 KB]
- RIA – Tackling Unsafe Speeds [PDF, 6.4 MB]
- NZTA review page
- Tackling Unsafe Speeds page
This Bill will be progressed alongside the Land Transport (Rail) Legislation Bill
These Bills will address historical and current regulatory issues through amendments to transport legislation. The Bills ensure good regulation, reflect stewardship responsibilities and promote safety in the transport sector.