- Monthly electric vehicle registrations
- Quarterly vehicle fleet statistics
- Annual vehicle fleet statistics
- Vehicle Type Categorisation
The Ministry has developed a comprehensive set of Transport Indicators, which also include information on the vehicle fleet. The indicators provide national, and where possible regional, data for robust and consistent performance monitoring of the New Zealand transport sector.
From July 2016 the vehicle numbers in this EV report vary a little from previous editions. NZTA has made a major effort to identify EVs on the vehicle register - one outcome has been the identification of 90+ Toyota Prius plugin hybrids.
- View the monthly report on electric vehicle registrations to November 2019
- View the monthly electric vehicle tables
- View pdf on how to download data from the electric vehicle report [PDF, 201 KB]
These are brief quarterly reviews of vehicle fleet statistics. They provide information on subsequent trends in vehicle buying patterns, vehicle fuel economy, fuel prices and vehicle travel.
- Quarterly Fleet Statistics (Key graphs) - July to September 2019 update
- Quarterly Fleet Statistics (Data tables) - July to September 2019 update
This report provides information on New Zealand’s vehicle fleet by using the government’s vehicle register information as a key source. The information contained in the report will continue to be updated and published annually.
The Ministry has developed a comprehensive set of Transport Indicators, which also include information on the vehicle fleet. The indicators provide national, and where possible regional, data for robust and consistent performance monitoring of the New Zealand transport sector. View the Transport Indicators and the data sets here.
The spreadsheet holds the graphs shown in the PDF, and the data they are based on.
From 2014 the vehicle fleet statistics will be released in August/September.
The Ministry of Transport’s models and datasets (except for crash analyses), including vehicle fleet statistics, the Transport Dashboards, and the Vehicle Fleet Emissions Model, classify road vehicles into five vehicle type categories: light passenger vehicles, light commercial vehicles, motorcycles, heavy trucks, and buses. Further explanation of these vehicle type categories may be found below.