The Government has released the final Report by the Upper North Island Supply Chain Strategy (UNISCS) Working Group.
The Government has conducted the comprehensive Upper North Island logistics and freight review to ensure New Zealand’s supply chain is fit for purpose in the longer-term.
The Report examines the issues around the future of the Port of Auckland and makes the strategic argument to move freight operations from Auckland to Northport, and the continued development of the Port of Tauranga,
The Working Group’s analysis and recommendations raise a range of economic, social and environmental questions for the Government to consider. The Government has instructed the Ministry of Transport to undertake further technical and financial analysis and report back to Cabinet in May 2020.
The review delivered a freight and logistics strategy for the Upper North Island. This includes a feasibility study to explore moving the location of the Port of Auckland, with serious consideration to be given to Northport.
The Report includes priorities for investment in rail, roads and other supporting infrastructure, with the goal of creating a robust supply chain that delivers to New Zealand’s interest over the next 30 years.
The work was led by an independent working group of experts who reported to the Ministers of Finance, Transport, and Regional Development.
The Ministry of Transport, the NZ Transport Agency, and the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment provided support to the Working Group.
Final Report (November 2019)
- UNISCS Final Report [PDF, 1.1 MB]
- UNISCS Final Report Presentation [PDF, 1.5 MB]
- Cabinet Paper Upper North Island Supply Chain Strategy Final Report [PDF, 1.5 MB]
- Cabinet Paper Minute [PDF, 817 KB]
- Upper North Island Supply Chain Strategy - Meeting on second interim report [PDF, 263 KB]
- Follow-up advice on the second interim report of the Upper North Island Supply Chain Strategy - Briefing Paper [PDF, 349 KB]
- Upper North Island Supply Chain Strategy Advice on final report [PDF, 365 KB]
- Upper North Island Supply Chain Strategy Q&As
Second Interim Report (October 2019)
- UNISCS Working Group Second Interim Report [PDF, 709 KB]
- Attachment 1 - Economic Analysis of Upper North Island Supply Chain Scenarios [PDF, 5.2 MB]
- Attachment 2 - Aucklanders' sentiment to moving the Auckland Port [PDF, 2.5 MB]
Interim Report (April 2019)
- Cabinet Paper Release Coversheet [PDF, 99 KB]
- Cabinet Paper [PDF, 608 KB]
- Cabinet Minutes [PDF, 648 KB]
- UNISCS Working Group Interim Progress Report [PDF, 1.4 MB]
- Summary of Submissions [PDF, 508 KB]
Terms of Reference (February 2018)
- Cabinet Paper Upper North Island Supply Chain Strategy [PDF, 136 KB]
- Press Release - Future focus on Upper North Island logistics(external link)
- Read Questions and Answers
For general enquiries please email firstname.lastname@example.org